Wednesday, May 21, 2008

James McAvoy's Starter for 10 - mini review


On my friend Kai's recommendation, I rented Starter for 10. It's a very sweet film - a coming of age story of a working class kid going to University and experiencing love for the first time. It's set in 1985, and is definitely a homage to all those John Hughes films I loved. Boy falls for the wrong girl till he finally sees the perfect one is right there all along. I adored the music in this film which took me right back to my college days. Lots of The Cure! I'm sure I'm missing some of the specific English culture references. (The title references a famous quiz TV show in England.) It was very amusing, but I didn't die laughing. James is adorable, and the girl who plays Alice makes us realize why James could fall for her, and also why she isn't the right one. She balances it well, and isn't just a blonde bimbo stereotype. I give the film three stars. Worth a rental!
This scene of James stoned is just a riot:

3 comments:

  1. 3 out of 4 or 5? Glad you liked the movie...Jamie is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Three out of 4. James is absolutely adorable in this one! The head butt mistake!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok good to know your rating sysytem. Thanks. :D

    ReplyDelete