Wednesday, July 2, 2008

The Incredible Hulk - mini-review


This is a solid movie from director Louis Leterrier. I didn't hate the Ang Lee Hulk movie, but I certainly didn't love it. I wanted to love Ang's movie since I love so many of Ang Lee's movies, and I like Eric Bana. But it just didn't come together and the special effects just didn't look good.

This Incredible Hulk delivers. We don't have boring backstory. We dive right in to the action. The special effects are better (as you would expect a few years on). Ed Norton helped write the script, and it is fantastic. It satisfies on all levels, and we have a real villain to go up against the Hulk. Yes, we have moments of angst, but they don't overwhelm things. Tim Roth has always made a terrific villain (see Rob Roy, for instance!) and I love his "Is that all you've got?!" line.

It has the right amount of humor, too. I love all the little Easter Eggs. There's a brief clip of "The Courtship of Eddie's Father" playing on a TV and Lou Ferrigno plays a security guard. Stan Lee makes a small cameo, and the movie ends with Tony Stark (Robert Downey, Jr.) talking with the General. I love how Marvel is cross-pollinating its movies.

Solid three stars. I'll be curious to see if there is an extended version on DVD. Ed Norton refused to do press for this movie as he was unhappy with the length that the studio demanded for final edit.

No comments:

Post a Comment