Tuesday, June 24, 2008

DVD Tuesday - In Bruges


It's Tuesday, which means it's DVD new release day. There haven't been many notable new releases lately, but today is a banner day.

Number one on my list of DVD's you need to add to your Netflix queue is In Bruges. I was lucky enough to see its world premiere at Sundance in January. It opened this spring in theaters but didn't seem to make much of a splash. I thought in Bruges was fantastic and it was my favorite film of the festival. Very funny, very violent and sometimes shockingly gory. Great dialog and interesting script by Oscar winning (short film) director Martin McDonagh, who is known for his award winning plays in Ireland. Colin Farrell was brilliant in the film. He was very funny, cries several times and then is shockingly violent and explosive showing an extensive range in the film. I thought the role fit him very well, one of his best in years, and really showcased him. Ralph Fiennes cracked me up because he usually plays so highbrow, and this role was with a low class accent and kind of a thug character. Brendan Gleeson was his usual wonderful character actor self. My husband and I still quote dialog from this film to each other. Our favorite exchange between Brendan and Colin:

Ken: Ray, you are about the worst tourist in the whole world.
Ray: Ken, I grew up in Dublin. I love Dublin. If I grew up on a farm, and was retarded, Bruges might impress me but I didn't, so it doesn't.
It's in the trailer here:


Persepolis, the amazing Oscar nominated animated film is also out today, and Definitely, Maybe with adorable Abigail Breslin and Ryan Reynolds is worth a rental.

No comments:

Post a Comment