Thursday, May 22, 2008

Shadow of the Sword - mini-review

Well, gang, not every movie do I see because I think it will be Oscar worthy. Sometimes, my obsessions lead me to watch obscure films, and last night was one of them. I rented Shadow of the Sword because it seemed to be the only film that Nikolaj Coster-Waldau stars in that is not in Danish. Bring on the subtitles next time.

The premise of the movie is more obvious from the alternative Austrian title: The Headsman. It is an interesting twist -- our hero is the local executioner. That's the only job he can take after he falls in love with the executioner's daughter, marries her and thus becomes an "untouchable." The story takes place during the 16th century Spanish inquisition, and involves Nikolaj as Martin, and Georg. The two are orphans who take different paths, one a soldier and one as a cleric. The film deals with the very serious subject of religious persecution and the corrupt church of the time, but then kind of ruins that by showing the beheadings in gruesome detail. This is an R film, to be sure. Interesting note for Beowulf fans, the crazy Irish monk from that film plays Martin's rival for the job of executioner, and is quite the cunning troublemaker. I think he specializes in films with crazy hair, bad teeth and dressing in rags.

So two stars at best for this one, only for the Nikolaj obsessed. Nikolaj is good in it, both in the romantic and dramatic scenes. All I can tell you is that after watching this DVD I now know that Nikolaj is uncircumcised.

2 comments:

  1. Nikolaj and Viggo should have a bath house battle. Who would win uncircumcised or circumcised?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, the two nude scenes were quite different - one a knife fight, and one a love scene. Let's just say that Nikolaj's bed partner seemed lucky indeed.

    Now, I can't remember if Viggo was or wasn't -- guess I'll have to get out the DVD to check. Oh, darn!

    I was wondering who would comment first on this line in my review. You win the prize for catching it!

    ReplyDelete