Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull - My Review


Indiana Jones & The Kingdom of the Crystal Skull almost broke the alltime holdiay weekend gross record. It came in second to Pirates of the Carribean 3. Indy 4 played to sold out shows all weekend as parents took their children in droves. And we were there, taking our three kids yesterday. My youngest had a bad fever Saturday so we couldn't see the film till Monday, and it was killing me to wait!

So, was it worth the wait? The 19 years we waited? Unreservedly, YES! Our family has been watching the old movies to get our kids ready for Indy 4. We saw the first film a week ago, and nothing can match the first one. The introduction to Indy, the boulder, Marion -- it can't be topped. But we also saw the second film Sunday night, Temple of Doom. Kate Capshaw is like nails on a chalkboard and my son was yelling at the TV -- I can't STAND her! Yes, Spielberg got a wife out of that film, but she is definitely not my favorite either. So with all that fresh in our minds, I can view Indy 4 not just through the mists of my memories and nostalgia. Indy 4 could never be the equal of the first film, but it can stand at least as high as the second if not higher. Yeah, the plot doesn't make sense -- but they never did!

I loved Indy 4 and everything about it. There were things about this film that most of the audience may not have been chuckling about the way I was. Starting the film with a drag race -- that was pure George Lucas, and echoed our very first image of Harrison Ford as he was in the drag race in American Graffiti! Shia LeBeouf rides on screen on his motorcycle with the leather jacket and even the very hat that Marlon Brando wore in The Wild Ones. I actually burst out a "HA!" right when I saw him (I was the only one!), laughing at how perfect the homage was.

I loved the emotional payoff of this movie -- How Indy finds his son, and just all the great banter in the movie with Marion. As the Tribune reviewer said, the goofy look on Indy's face when he first sees Marion again is worth the price of admission. Shia did great, and I love how Spielberg and Lucas gave him his own thing -- he's dropped out of tons of boarding schools but he knows how to handle a knife and fence! The car chase sequence is sheer cinematic brilliance, and will be studied by film students for years to come. All the supporting players were great -- Cate Blanchett was a standout as the Russian villain. Just pitch perfect.

So, three and a half stars (out of 4) and a MUST see in the theaters. If you haven't seen it yet, what's wrong with you? Are you American or what?! Those FBI agents from the film may need to speak with you!

No comments:

Post a Comment