Friday, May 16, 2008

The Savages - Mini-review


I rented The Savages from Netflix last week. I loved the film. Watching Phillip Seymour Hoffman and Laura Linney act in the same film was like watching a virtuoso violin duet. This film is all about the excellent acting, and Linney certainly deserved her Oscar nod. It's not a comedy with a capital "C", but considering the subject matter has lots of very amusing moments. The writer/director was also Oscar nominated for the script. The film ends hopeful, as this once very distant brother and sister have formed a new bond. Very much worth a rental. I give it three and a half stars.

2 comments:

  1. I agree with your review. There were several relationship complexities that kept me pondering the movie for a few days. It was a well done movie.

    Have you seen You Can Count On Me? It's another Laura Linney film from 2000, with Mark Ruffalo and Matthew Broderick. Somewhat similar brother/sister drama. Definitely worth the rental, if you haven't already seen it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Janene,
    I LOVED You Can Count On Me. I think that was my first introduction to both Laura Linney and Mark Ruffalo, and what an introduction it was! Love that movie, and heartily recommend it, too.

    ReplyDelete