Saturday, May 31, 2008

HBO's Recount - mini-review


I know, I know. You're sick of politics. You don't want to hear any more about the stolen election of 2000. That's the way I felt, too, and I was hesitant to watch HBO's Recount. I saw a rave review of it on Ebert & Roeper, so I thought I'd give it a try. Wow. This compelling film moves at a fast clip and even though you know the outcome, no one even at the time knew all the twists and turns the story takes. This film is chock-a-block FULL of stars doing amazing work. There are sure to be many Emmy nominations for this film, and Kevin Spacey and Laura Dern will be at the top of the list. The story is mostly told from the perspective of Gore's former chief of staff, played by Spacey, who headed up the recount fight in Florida. Laura Dern plays Katherine Harris in some of the film's funniest moments. This film does have plenty of humor, and according to the people who were in the middle of it at the time, captures the intensity and craziness of those fateful 36 days. The casting is spot on -- Tom Wilkinson as James Baker, John Hurt as Warren Christopher. Dennis Leary, Bob Balaban and Ed Begley, Jr. also are fantastic. What a cast! Jay Roach is known more for lighter films, and he really treated the subject with a deft touch. Trust me, this is a film worth watching if you have HBO -- and I'm sure it will be on DVD soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment