Thursday, November 6, 2008

RIP to the man who gave us Andre Marek


Amidst all the hoopla about the election, it was almost overlooked that author Michael Crichton died of cancer on Tuesday at age 66. He's probably best known for writing Jurassic Park, but he also penned scientific thrillers The Andromeda Strain and Timeline. He wrote the screenplays for The Great Train Robbery and Twister, and also created the TV series ER. I loved his work, but he'll forever have a place in my heart for creating one of my favorite characters: Andre Marek of Timeline. The movie changes the character a bit from the book, accommodating actor Gerard Butler's Scottish heritage. This was one of the first Gerry Butler movies I saw, renting it within a few weeks of Tomb Raider 2. It was the classic, "Who IS that guy?!" I was a goner! Timeline is not Oscar worthy by any means, but it's a fun popcorn pic and Andre Marek is the best thing in it, besides the always wonderful Billy Connolly!

Here's two fan videos to give you a taste of Andre Marek, archaeologist sent back through time to meet his true love. Thank you, Michael Crichton!

Fun Trivia, Anna Friel who plays Lady Claire in Timeline now stars in Pushing Daisies!



1 comment:

  1. I love Micheal Crichton. I loved him more when he dared to say that Al Gore is wrong on "global warming." God Bless you, Micheal!

    ReplyDelete