Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Phillip Glass to Compose Walt Disney Opera


From Variety:

New York City Opera has commissioned composer Philip Glass ("Koyaanisqatsi," "The Hours") to pen an opera about Walt Disney.

Opera, planned to kick off City Opera's 2012-13 season, will be based on Peter Stephan Jungk's German-language novel "The Perfect American." Story imagines the last months of Disney as seen through the eyes of a fictional Austrian cartoonist who worked for him.

Preem of "American" is timed to celebrate Glass' 75th birthday.

I've always loved Philip Glass' music, and have been thrilled that he's done so many film scores lately. I remember being blown away when I saw Koyaanisqatsi in college. My husband hates his music, but proved he loves me by going with me to see Philip Glass perform once. Here's a clip from Koyaanisqatsi (which means life out of balance.) There's not one line of dialog in the whole film, and hearing Philip Glass' music for the first time knocked my socks off.

No comments:

Post a Comment