Monday, September 1, 2008

Brideshead Revisted - Mini-review


So, I went to see Brideshead Revisted, starring Matthew Goode, a couple weeks ago. I have been mulling over my review since then. I liked the film, and I'm convinced that Emma Thompson is likely to get a supporting actress Oscar nod for her excellent portrayal as the matriarch of the ultra-rich Catholic Flyte family. This adaptation was written by Andrew Davies, who has taken so many other classic English literature to the movie and TV screen. Matthew Goode was fine in the film. I can't think of a current actor who would have been better as Charles Ryder, young artist who falls in love with first Sebastian, then Julia Flyte, but in the end, he's no Jeremy Irons.

Jeremy Irons starred as Charles Ryder in the 11 episode mini-series back in 1981. It made him a star, and that mini-series is held up as one of the best mini-series ever, especially in England. The mini-series has everything in the Evelyn Waugh book, and cutting down to a two hour movie, obviously many subplots were lost. The movie still has the essence of the book, and even uses the same gorgeous Castle Howard as the Flyte mansion. It just doesn't pack the same emotional punch for me. It just can't when you've seen the mini-series. It's been at least 25 years since I've seen the mini-series, and yet it stays with me, and this movie just couldn't quite measure up. If you've never seen the mini-series, and don't have hours and hours to watch all the DVD's, this is a very fine adaptation. Three and a half stars. But if you do have the time, trust me, it's worth it to watch Jeremy Irons in the original.

Much has been made of the fact that the homosexual relationship between Charles and Sebastian was more subtle in the mini-series, and the film has a kiss, which I don't believe is in the book either. The kiss didn't bother me, but there was something to that constant tension and undercurrent in the original and the wondering if there was one off screen! I love Matthew Goode, and I think he'll have a long career. He's due up in Watchmen next year which should really make a big splash for him.

No comments:

Post a Comment