Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Get Smart - mini-review


For me, Get Smart was a chuckler, a smiley film. I didn't laugh out loud non-stop like I did during You Don't Mess With the Zohan. I enjoy Steve Carell, and Anne Hathaway, and the Rock, Dwayne Johnson, does a nice job in these action comedies, too. We saw it in a matinée with the kids, and it was fine, but not one I'd say is a must see in the movie theaters. You could wait for the DVD.

I liked that Steve Carell did not attempt to do an impression of the 1960's Maxwell Smart. He made the part his own, and added his own humorous twists to it, a bumbling analyst nerd who wants to be a real agent. I always enjoy when they put in little things referencing the source. They had a display like the CIA museum with the old car and the shoe phone. Bernie Kopell who played Siegfried on the TV show, had a short cameo, too.

So three stars. It was an amusing film, but not a smash for me.

4 comments:

  1. Come on Mel...just 2 1/2 stars? I'd give it 3 stars for good clean humor without sexual references and the f-bomb being thrown out with every other word. A fun movie to take your children to without wincing. Agreed that Steve played Maxwell Smart perfectly without trying to do an impression of Don Adams. Casting was perfect...my only complaint was there wasn't enough Agent 13. I found out that that was the only part of Agent 13 that was filmed...I thought other parts may have fallen on the cutting room floor...so no added footage of him when the DVD comes out...DARN! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kai, You're right. I was too harsh, and I changed it to three stars. My kids loved it and it was a good movie to take them to.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now only if changing your mind about Obama was so easy! LOLOLOLOLOLOL!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Get Smart looks okay overall, though Steve Carell seems to be veering more and more toward slapstick-style humor

    ReplyDelete