Monday, August 3, 2009

The Ugly Truth - Mini-review



The Ugly Truth currently has only a 15% rating on Rotten Tomatoes. That's a bit harsh, in my opinion. Is anyone going to win an Oscar for this movie? No, but it's still worth your money as it's a very entertaining film. I laughed, and I laughed very loudly during this movie. It's a chick film, but it's rated R and has plenty of raunchy humor for the guys as well.

I've gotten more than a little sick of Katherine Heigl's character on Grey's Anatomy to the point I was disappointed to hear she was back for next season. Guess she's just in a coma or something, darn the luck. She has redeemed herself in my eyes a bit with this film. She's not afraid to do some very silly physical humor. God knows I'll take her over Kate Hudson any day of the week.

I'm a bit biased when it comes to Gerard Butler (ya think?), and I will see any movie he makes, no matter how much it stinks. But what I love about Gerry in this film, is that he finally shows that devilish funny side of him that is much closer to his real self -- the jokester from all the talk show interviews. In P.S. I Love You, we saw a hint, but it's full on here. Yes, he goes out of his way to be un-PC and obnoxious, but ya gotta love him, because he's charming, too.

The complaint I read over and over in the reviews is that the writing in this Rom Com is filled with cliches. So what? Do the reviewers complain when there's a car chase in every action flick? Basically, I view most Rom Coms like a Romance novel, and I read about three or four of those a week. Yes, it's a predictable plot, and we can spot these archetype characters from a mile away, but women want the HEA -- that's the Happily Ever After, folks. And The Ugly Truth was written by three women. They wrote a screenplay that is very close to many contemporary romance novels, and that's likely why I enjoyed this film so much. Boorish man with a mouth on him (in more ways that one) that needs to be tamed, and really has insides made of marshmellow? Check. Uptight career woman in need of sexual awakening who wants a man who loves her for who she really is, faults and all? Check. We even have the Ken doll other man in this movie. Throw these crazy kids together, and watch the sparks fly.

My one complaint is that the writers and directors mainly used the R rating for language (not that there's anything wrong with that) and of course the vibrating panties scene. Hell, I saw more of Gerry Butler's body in 300! We get one little abbreviated sex scene that's mostly in the dark with a frickin' blanket covering most of Gerry. This is a movie written by women that's an R? Give us a little butt cheeks shot at least! We want a little somethin', somethin', you know what I mean? That said, the elevator kiss was pretty hot.

Bottom line, it's an entertaining film and I give it three stars.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you, thank you, thank you for giving this raunchy, very funny movie a fair review! Your points were very true and fair. Other reviews I have read are terribly biased. I realized too that they don't seem to realize that the action flicks are predictable! I enjoyed this movie and laughed out loud several times! (My daughter and grown gr.daughter were laughing outloud as well! A good comedy!!

    ReplyDelete