Monday, August 24, 2009

Julie Powell writes an obit of her cat ... and other things


I knew it!! I wrote my review of Julie & Julia yesterday, and commented that while I love Amy Adams, I thought the real Julie was probably a bit snarkier. Amy Adams played the real life blogger as rather sweet, and when being bitchy came off whiny. Julie Powell has written an obituary of her cat, but then it's really more about how her cat feels about how she was portrayed in the film:

What we see is not the sardonic, complicated, talented cat of my longtime acquaintance, but a sweet, thin, red-headed doll of a thing who watches old episodes of The French Chef with her head pertly cocked, as if to echo the words of her owner, “Julie Powell,” regarding Julia Child: “Isn’t she adorable?”

The trouble is, I would never say something like “Isn’t Julia Child adorable?” Julia Child, for chrissakes, this literal and figurative giant of a woman who changed the lives of thousands and the entire American culinary landscape ... adorable? And neither would Maxine.


Read the whole snarky piece here on Double X.

No comments:

Post a Comment