Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Russell Brand is Tempest's Jester


Just read this today in my EW:

Perhaps it's redemption for being kicked out of the prestigious Drama Centre London a week shy of graduation. Or maybe it was just too juicy a part to turn down. Whatever the reason, this year's outrageous host of MTV's Video Music Awards, Russell Brand, will play drunken jester Trinculo in Julie Taymor's adaptation of Shakespeare's The Tempest. The British-born comic will appear opposite Helen Mirren, who stars as Prospera (Taymor's version of Prospero), and Alfred Molina as Sebastian. Jeremy Irons (King Alonso), Geoffrey Rush (Gonzalo), and Djimon Hounsou (Caliban) are also in negotiations to join the cast. Taymor (Across the Universe) has directed the Bard's island-set play twice on stage, but in November, she plans to take her shoot to Hawaii.

From The Guardian:
Russell Brand last week revealed his secret plan to seduce Helen Mirren. Adopting that familiar "naughty little me" persona, Brand told reporters at the Pride of Britain awards: "There's something about her that drives me wild. She's so sexy and enchanting, just look at her form ... They're going to have to hold me back when we start work. I'll be all over her. I don't know how I'll get any work done."
Russell also has an upcoming one hour special on Comedy Central in 2009, that will tape next month in New York City. I'm looking forward to seeing his standup routine madness.

1 comment:

  1. Oh he will make a great drunken jester!! My girls can not wait to see Bedtime Stories. Have you seen the preview? Russell has a part in the movie. Anything this guy says just cracks me up!

    ReplyDelete