Saturday, June 7, 2008

You Don't Mess with the Zohan - mini-review


Ahhh, summer! My youngest son has been visiting some cousins, so my older two boys and I took advantage and saw two PG-13 films over the last two nights. Counting Sex and the City on Wed., that's three movies at the theater in three nights for me!

I am not Adam Sandler's biggest fan. Wedding Singer will always have a place in my heart for all the 80's nostalgia, and 50 First Dates is equally sweet, but I have never really sought out his more guy-centric movies like Happy Gilmore. I had seen the previews for Zohan, and my kids wanted to see it. I agree with Roger Ebert's review -- you know you shouldn't be laughing because it's so coarse and un-P.C., but you do anyway even if you feel guilty.

I didn't just laugh at this film -- I HOWLED with laughter. OMG, it was so funny. They played hacky sack with a CAT for God's sake, and I still laughed! This was not a film to bring my almost 12 year old to, however. There are TONS of sex jokes, and Zohan not only cuts the hair of all those nice older Jewish women, but he services them in the back room! As we were walking out of the theater, my son deadpanned, "Well, I won't be recommending this one to my friends." LOL

Yes, this film is coarse, full of foul gags, and jokes about big penises. If that's going to offend your sensibilites, stay away. But if you want to laugh, really have a belly laugh, then check this latest Sandler film out. Three stars. Sandler wrote the Zohan script with Judd Apatow, and will be appearing next in Apatow's upcoming film about stand-up comedy.

No comments:

Post a Comment