Tuesday, April 22, 2008

DVD Tuesday - Phillip Seymour Hoffman Squared!

Tuesday is always DVD new release day and there are three notable DVD's out today to add to your Netflix Queue, two with Phillip Seymour Hoffman. Last night I finally watched Mission Impossible III. I felt like a mindless popcorn flick, and I wanted to watch Phillip Seymour Hoffman torture Tom Cruise. It was the best part of the movie! The Savages, with Oscar nominated Laura Linney and Phillip Seymour Hoffman is out today, and I'm going to bump it to the top of my queue. I missed it when it came out in theaters, and I just love both actors. Phillip Seymour Hoffman earned a supporting Oscar nomination for his role as a CIA agent in Charlie Wilson's War. The film stars Tom Hanks and Julia Roberts and is based on a true story. Don't let the War in the title scare you off, this is a damn funny film. Here's my favorite scene from Charlie Wilson's War:

Also out today is Cloverfield, produced by J. J. Abrams of TV's "Lost". It's a modern monster movie filmed entirely from the point of view of the actors using handheld cameras (have Dramamine handy). Mostly famous for the incredible marketing campaign for the film, than any name actors. I don't know if it will have the same jump out of your seat impact as it did in theaters, but it was a fun roller coaster ride. Watch carefully in the final moments as you can see something fall into the ocean near a small boat in the flashback home movie footage. My husband and I had to run to YouTube to rewatch that part over and over to catch it. If you rent it, I'm sure it will be much more visible and you'll be able to freeze-frame the DVD!

No comments:

Post a Comment