Thursday, June 18, 2009

My Life In Ruins - Mini-review



I never saw Nia Vardalos' second film, Connie and Carla, about two women hiding from the mob as drag queens. You probably didn't either. My Big Fat Greek Wedding was such a surprising super hit, that following that level of success probably wasn't realistic. My Life In Ruins, Vardalos' latest sweet romance, is modest. Nia Vardalos plays an American working as an unsuccessful tour guide in Greece. She has quite the cast of character actors in her little group, including Richard Dreyfus, a widower that urges her to live life to the fullest. A romance sparks with Poupi, the driver of the tour bus, played by Greek actor, Alexis Georgoulis, and yes, he is gorgeous!

This little film, produced again by Rita Wilson and Tom Hanks, made me smile, but not laugh out loud. I enjoyed this little film, but only give it 2 and a half stars. Catch it in a half-price matinee like me, or wait to rent on DVD.

Trivia note - Rita Wilson plays Richard Dreyfus' dead wife, and Ian Gomez, Nia Vardalos' real life husband plays the sleazy hotel manager.

Also, My Life In Ruins is the first film ever to be allowed to film at the Parthenon. Nia Vardalos said all her childhood in Greek school paid off!

No comments:

Post a Comment