Saturday, June 27, 2009

Away We Go - mini-review



I LOVED this movie. John Krasinski of The Office and Maya Rudolph from SNL play a couple about to have a baby. When Burt and Verona hear that Burt's parents are moving to Belgium a month before the baby is to be born, they decide they could live anywhere. They start a roadtrip visiting friends and relatives around the country to figure out where they might like to live. They're in their 30's but seem to still live like impoverished students with not enough heat. With a baby due in a few months, it's time to grow up.

The relatives and friends are all caricatures from Allison Janney's obnoxious alcoholic to Maggie Gyllenhaal's extreme feminist earth mother. I laughed so hard I wheezed in parts. The movie is also sweet, but not saccharin. I really enjoyed all the supporting actors like Jeff Daniels and Catherine O'Hara as Burt's selfish parents. I hope we see more of Maya Rudolph on the big screen. She was great. Away We Go was directed by Oscar winning director Sam Mendes (American Beauty).

Highly recommend this film and give it three stars. If you want to laugh, and not see big explosions this weekend, this is the movie for you!

1 comment:

  1. Hmm. Interesting. I can't get past John's facial hair, and the trailer doesn't show me any chemistry between the two of them. That said, I think I still want to see it. Glad you liked it!

    ReplyDelete