Monday, February 23, 2009

Jackman Ho!



What a glorious Oscar ceremony last night! Count me in among those who loved Hugh Jackman as host. I adored the opening number (Craig's List dancers! LOL! "I meant to see The Reader!") I was very moved by each major acting award having five past winners honor each of the nominees. Looking at Anne Hathaway's tear filled eyes hearing her acting being praised, you felt that each nominee could feel like a winner in that moment, even if only one could go home with the statue.

The montages showcased all the films of the year by genre, romance, action, and comedy, etc. since those were certainly not all represented in the nominations. I thought that was a nice change up since most previous years montages have been about the history of films. The pace of the show seemed faster, at least to me. There were several funny moments like Steve Martin telling Tina Fey, "Don't fall in love with me." I about died laughing at Ben Stiller's impression of Joaquin Phoenix from Letterman. He got it exactly, but my guests at my party didn't all know what he was referencing. For those in the know, like everyone in the theater, it was a laugh riot. The gum!

The Judd Appatow film for comedies with James Franco and Seth Rogan really had me in stitches because the interspersed scenes from some of the most serious films of the year like The Reader and Doubt with all the other comedies. What a riot!

At least all the women in my media room agreed, we couldn't wait for Hugh Jackman to appear each time. He was fantastic, and I could have seen more banter with the audience from him. I read that he did quite a bit during the commercial breaks, even passing out cookies to the stars in the theater. I'm not sure the big musical number with Beyonce, Zach Efron and the young stars of Mamma Mia will convince the world that the musical is back. I enjoyed it, and can never get enough of Hugh in a top hat. I chuckled that Zach Efron couldn't keep his hat on for his bow.

I held a contest at my party for the most correct on the ballot, but keep myself out of it. I had been reading everything I could before I made my picks, even if I couldn't manage to see everything. I had a great night, getting 21 out of 24 right. I only missed on Foreign film (which was a stunner for everyone), Art direction and animated short.

It was possibly one of the most predictable Oscars, but it still felt great seeing all those little kids on the stage when Slumdog Millionaire won. I won't soon forget the the two older stars of the film, Dev Patel and Freida Pinto, holding the youngest actors in their arms and bouncing them up and down. Speaking of bouncing, who would have expected Danny Boyle to give a Tigger bounce up to the podium to accept his best director statue!

One of my guests said she thought it was the best award show she's ever seen. It was moving, it was funny, and I think the new producers, from the movie Dreamgirls, did a great job. I liked the changes, and hope they bring back Hugh Jackman again. He's a movie star, and a true showman. Bravo!

No comments:

Post a Comment