Wednesday, October 21, 2009

New Producers for the Oscars


The Academy of Motion Pictures Arts & Sciences announced yesterday that there will be two new producers for the Oscars, director Adam Shankman and former 20th Century Fox Studio Head Bill Mechanic.

The producers of the last Oscars, Bill Condon and Laurence Mark were busy with other projects.  They brought back some showbiz pizazz to the show with host Hugh Jackman.  This year's host has not yet been announced, but you know that I'm praying they can get Hugh back.  He was amazing!!

Adam Shankman, who directed Hairspray, I think will bring that same kind of energy to the show.  In the official press release, Adam Shankman noted, "The last time I was on the show was as a dancer, and to come back as a producer is such an unbelievable honor."  Shankman was a dancer for the 1989 Little Mermaid Best Song number:
"I was one of Paula Abdul's 'Under the Sea' pirates," Shankman said. "The last time I was at the Oscars, I was in Lycra, with a pirate hat on." 
I first heard about Adam Shankman as his work as a choreographer, back in my days of obsession over Brendan Frasier.  He was the choreographer of  the movie Mrs. Winterbourne, with his kitchen tango scene that I love, love, love.  He went on to direct The Wedding Planner, and finally his big success was Hairspray.  He also directed the very funny Prop 8 Musical.

So, I have high hopes for this years Oscars.  With choosing Adam Shankman, I'm betting we don't just get a stand up comedian doing a monologue, and if not Hugh, someone else will be doing a song and dance opener!

Shankman told Canoe:
"I personally want to kick up the funny a little bit. Movies are an invaluable source of entertainment during a very tough time in our country's history. Since entertainment is what we're selling, we want to celebrate that aspect and not just have it be that we're sitting around congratulating ourselves and patting ourselves on the back."

No comments:

Post a Comment