Monday, April 13, 2009

One reason I'm excited Michael Sheen will be Aro


Because he brings the same enthusiasm to whatever project he's doing, and he respects fantasy genre films. Harry Knowles twittered the link to this December interview with Michael from Ain't It Cool News, and only Michael could in one breath link Arthur Miller's Crucible with Underworld 3:

Beaks: Shifting gears dramatically, when you do something like UNDERWORLD: RISE OF THE LYCANS, and you've got to do these huge dramatic speeches... I don't want to say that it's silly, but it does have to unabashedly be what it is. It's grander and more steeped in genre conventions.
Sheen: There is absolutely no difference for me.
Beaks: None?
Sheen: None. There's absolutely no difference between FROST/NIXON, THE QUEEN and UNDERWORLD 3. It's a story. I put as much work into both. I try to be as truthful and believable, as complex and as rich in both. There's nothing intrinsically more real about the character of David Frost or the character of Lucian: they're both just characters in a story. It requires absolutely no different process for me. I think what it does is reveal people's attitudes toward genre films; I think it reveals a snobbishness of culture. I mean, some of the best writing of the last century has happened in science fiction. One of my favorite writers is Philip K. Dick. One of my other favorite writers is Neil Gaiman. And Stephen King. These are people who, to a certain extent, don't get the literary kudos they deserve - and they're dealing with some of the biggest themes and subjects of what it's like to be a human being in the twentieth and twenty-first century.

Maybe they're made more palatable for people. There are things in THE DARK KNIGHT that are profound truths about our society. And that fact that it was a huge blockbuster - that kids went back again and again - is good! So just because something is on a more fantastic plateau doesn't make it any less valuable. Some of the most moving experiences I've ever had is watching things like LORD OF THE RINGS or THE MATRIX movies. It's not the genre. It's how well it's handled. And while I haven't seen UNDERWORLD 3 yet, the process was incredibly challenging and exciting for all kinds of reasons. I was excited by it because it was about something that I connected with about the human experience. I think people would be foolish to dismiss fairy tales or myths because they're not directed by Sidney Lumet or something.
Beaks: Like you said, it's how the genre is handled. Some of our greatest living actors were in LORD OF THE RINGS. And Olivier was in CLASH OF THE TITANS, so...
Sheen: You know, I loved the character of Lucian in the first [UNDERWORLD]. I think there's something complex going on inside of him. I love the idea that he's set up as the bad guy and then by the end you're like, "Oh, he's not the bad guy." Again, like I said about Arthur Miller, I'm drawn to those things: the ambiguity of right and wrong, good and evil. In this third film, because it's about [Lucian] and how he came to be the character that he is, that's what I was fascinated about; he's this man who's in denial in something about himself, who's fighting against something he's scared of within himself. And unless he makes peace with this, it will destroy him. And how he turns into a leader of men... I don't know, I just like that. (Laughs) I connected with it, and thought it gave space for a really interesting journey. I find that my imagination is fired by things when they go outside the norm. That's why I love science-fiction: not because it's an escape; it's a different way of engaging with my experiences in life.


I also didn't know that Michael was in Alice In Wonderland -- but not as the Cheshire Cat (which would have been perfect). Read the rest of the interview here!

1 comment:

  1. Michael is coming into his own...good for him! I still remember him from Timeline!

    ReplyDelete