Friday, April 24, 2009

I Love You, Man Mini-review



How do I love the movie I Love You, Man? Let me count the ways. First, I just adore Paul Rudd in whatever movie he is in. My crush on Paul started with Clueless way back in 1995. He could have continued in that vein and been the sweet boyfriend in light films, but he's had an interesting career including choosing to do theater on Broadway after Clueless instead. Recently, he's become part of the Judd Appatow stable, and had memorable supporting roles in Knocked Up, 40 Year Old Virgin and Forgetting Sarah Marshall. Forgetting Sarah Marshall showed the chemistry between Rudd's surf instructor and Jason Segel. It was inspired to cast them in a bromance.

Paul Rudd's Peter is a girlfriend guy who draws a blank at who will be his best man at his upcoming wedding. He actively tries to find a new best friend, and meets Segel's Sydney at an open house he's hosting. They bond over fish tacos and their love of the band Rush.

I have not laughed out loud so hard at the movies in a long time. It was hilarious and sweet at the same time. Jon Favreau has a very funny small part as the husband of one of Rudd's fiancee's friends.

My own husband went through something similar to Rudd's character when we moved to our town. It's much more difficult, it seems, for guys to make new friends. I had the mom thing to bond with other women I met, but for him it took more time.

I give I Love You, Man three and a half stars and a strong recommendation. You will laugh your ass off!

I'm very excited that Jason Segel wrote a spinoff to Forgetting Sarah Marshall for Russell Brand's rock star character Aldous Snow. Get Him to the Greek is due out in 2010.

No comments:

Post a Comment