Tuesday, April 28, 2009

17 Again - Mini-review



I think we have established that I have a thing about high school movies. I also have a thing about these body transformation/time travel movies like Big, Peggy Sue Gets Married, Freaky Friday (both!), 13 Going on 30. Love 'em. Just love 'em.

So, I went by myself to see 17 Again starring Zac Efron. My sons wouldn't be caught dead going with me. The kid can act, and he's got that star quality thing going. I did not have an audience full of teen girls, so no squeals were heard when practically the opening scene showed Zac Efron shirtless. I felt like we were going through the Zac checklist: shirtless - check, playing basketball even though he's 5'9" - check, dance number - check. No singing this time!

Zac plays the younger Matthew Perry who wishes he could be 17 again, back when his life was good. Bill Murray's brother Brian plays the mysterious janitor who sends him back into his body, as it was circa 1989. There are a few of those Back to the Future cringe moments when his wife is crushing on his 17 year old bod, and his daughter tries to put the moves on him. Leslie Mann, who plays his wife who is about to divorce him, is just fantastic in whatever she does. It's all very sweet as he connects with his kids, and has some very funny moments. Some of the most laugh out loud moments for me involved the sub-plot romance between the nerdy, but rich, best friend Ned and the school principal. Ned has a house full of Star Wars memorabilia and on their dinner date, they realize they are meant for each other when they start speaking Elvish from Lord of the Rings to each other! As a woman who has a husband with a Klingon desk -- well, let's just say I found their nerdy romance a riot!

Three stars for me, but as I said, I'm a sucker for these types of movies. You won't be slitting your wrists if a kid drags you to it, at least!

Found this very funny clip of Leslie Mann on the Ellen show talking about kissing Zac:

"Michael Douglas - I get it now!" ROFLMAO!!

3 comments:

  1. You should have invited me to come along! Or maybe you couldn't because I was at the Hannah Montana movie! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. But unfortunately you're not available during the day. I saw an early matinee and played hooky!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVED her in "The 40-year-old Virgin". She's adorable, too!

    ReplyDelete