Thursday, March 12, 2009

Eclipse Director is Orphanage's Bayona



Thank God! Today Summit announced the director for Eclipse, the third movie in the Twilight series. Drew Barrymore's name had been floating around, and she had confirmed that she was in consideration. I hope that was Summit just being polite, because while I don't doubt that she is has talent -- she produced the Charlie's Angel films and He's Just Not That Into You -- I was praying that they wouldn't seriously entrust her with a franchise film like this. She has shown no ability to do anything more than light action comedy or rom com work. Let her cut her teeth on more serious drama and horror elsewhere, but not with the Twilight series, please!

So, I was thrilled when I read yesterday that Juan Antonio Bayona, the Spanish protege of Guillermo Del Toro, had been signed to direct Eclipse. Bayona directed the critically acclaimed horror film, The Orphanage, which was produced by Del Toro. I haven't seen the film, but I feel much better that someone with experience in arty horror is up for Eclipse. Bayona is a hot property so kudos to Summit for snatching him up. Eclipse already has a release date of June 30, 2010.

No comments:

Post a Comment